2010 R1 cam chain tensioner trouble - R1Messagenet.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

2010 R1 cam chain tensioner trouble

My bike just clocked over 8000km. It had the infamous cam chain rattle on cold starts. I replaced the tensioner with a genuine Yamaha tensioner & the only difference I could see with the new one was a stronger spring. It fixed the problem. When you read about the manual tensioners & they say the hydraulic ones can back out, that's bullshit, they're on a screw thread & have to be rotated clockwise & wound back in.. THE GENUINE YAMAHA TENSIONERS CANT BACK OUT ON DECELERATION.. Don't believe the hype. I will replace the hydraulic tensioner every 8000kms if that's what it takes. It was twice the price of a manual tensioner but I trust Yamahas engineers more than the people who make the manual tensioners. Who ever heard of an adjustment spec being 1/4 turn out from tight?? How tight?? I think the springs inside the original hydraulic tensioner weaken from the heat of the engine over time. I'm trying to find a spring manufacturer who can help with this, then I might have a solution that is cheap & easy to fix the original tensioners without replacing the whole unit.. Cheers..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the R1Messagenet.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode