2004 R1 (Help & Advice) - R1Messagenet.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

2004 R1 (Help & Advice)

Hi,

I am purchasing a 2004 R1 which did about 6Kmi,i did a test drive and it seems to be really good.infact this is my first bike,i do have riding experience and this is like the first bike i were to own and so i have couple of doubts

1.) The Seller told me that he has'nt taken the bike for about a year and half and he said it was then the last oil change was.like about year and half.so i was wondering if that would cause any trobule in the future.like the oil has been there in the crank and would it be of any sort of issue.

**consider If i were to get the bike and do a complete service and change all
the fluids right after i get it.would the above be still an issue.

2.) After my test drive i noticed that the tempratures went upto 220 deg Far.
I am not sure if its like high or its normal for R1's,but the fan did switch on after some time.

3.)assuming the above would you think its a buy for about 6 grand...!

I hope someone could guide me furthur.

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 05:34 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakrz View Post
Hi,

I am purchasing a 2004 R1 which did about 6Kmi,i did a test drive and it seems to be really good.infact this is my first bike,i do have riding experience and this is like the first bike i were to own and so i have couple of doubts

1.) The Seller told me that he has'nt taken the bike for about a year and half and he said it was then the last oil change was.like about year and half.so i was wondering if that would cause any trobule in the future.like the oil has been there in the crank and would it be of any sort of issue.

**consider If i were to get the bike and do a complete service and change all
the fluids right after i get it.would the above be still an issue.

2.) After my test drive i noticed that the tempratures went upto 220 deg Far.
I am not sure if its like high or its normal for R1's,but the fan did switch on after some time.

3.)assuming the above would you think its a buy for about 6 grand...!

I hope someone could guide me furthur.

Thank You
Without knowing how this bike was stored and how it was maintained before it was put away it is kind of a crap shoot on it's present condition. Sounds like the water temp might have peaked a little high. Did you check the fluid level and condition of the radiator? What was the oil pressure running when it got up to temperature? When you checked the oil level how did it look? Was there any mositure creamy colored look to it, especially on the oil cap? If I bought this bike I would do a complete fluid change out, even the brake fluid. As far as the value of the bike you need to go on line and check the book value. Good luck.
george
ADG

We offer special prices and all products are shipped from the closest AMSOIL warehouse. For more info go to www.bestoil4you.com or call 1-877-356-6099
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 01:38 AM

Oil

After my test drive i noticed that the tempratures went upto 220 deg Far.
================================================== =====
john
asciisol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughton View Post
After my test drive i noticed that the tempratures went upto 220 deg Far.
================================================== =====
john
asciisol
John,
What is the rest of your story here? Test drive after what? Did you do some maintenance or change to a new brand of oil or is this a bike you are test driving to purchase?
george

We offer special prices and all products are shipped from the closest AMSOIL warehouse. For more info go to www.bestoil4you.com or call 1-877-356-6099
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 07:14 AM

Nice thread and post too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the R1Messagenet.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode