08 r1 gilles vcr rearset problem help needed - R1Messagenet.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

08 r1 gilles vcr rearset problem help needed

hello there, ok..... my mate has fitted gilles vcr rearsets to his 08 r1, he bought them second hand from ebay and did not recieve fitting instructions.
the problem he has is..... when rear brake pedal is applied, the brake pads bind. he cooked his previous disc, now onto his second disc, knowing the problem is there, cannot find a remedy for why the brake pads do not release from disc after being applied.
there is no "spongy" feel to his brake pedal. we were considering rebleeding the brake line but felt that, doing so, would not make any difference.
his stock rearsets work no problems, its just when the gilles rearset (brake) only is fitted the problem lies (gear selector side is no problem)
any body came across same problem, or be able to shed some light on this????
would be much appreciated

cheers for now glen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 04:57 PM

Hi mate,
I had a similar problem with my 2001 R1 track bike, I made a mistake of buying cheap levers that didn't quite fit properly. Though the gilles aren't cheap and I wouldn't have thought it would be the same...

Check that the master cylinder is traveling it's full distance, if the piston isn't fully retracting then the return port to the reservior could be blocked, this will not let any of the brake fluid return. This will then keep the brakes locked on.

I've just bought a set of Gilles rearsets for my 2008 R1 second hand from ebay, I've fitted the brake side but I think I might be missing some parts for the gear lever, would you have fitting instructions now by a chance.
Cheers
Steve

Last edited by steviettotal; 08-16-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the R1Messagenet.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode