Need help: R6 or R1 - R1Messagenet.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Need help: R6 or R1

I have been reading on these two bikes. I am looking into an 08 model because of all the little tweaks they did for the R6. I was wondering if they did any tweaks for 08 on the R1.

The second question I wanted to ask is for opinions between the two. The R1 will obvesouly run faster than the R6, but im concerned about the cornering. I had a 2003 R6 with an intake, velocity stacks, exhaust and chip. I absolutely loved the agility of the R6. The reviews I have seen on the R1 say it feels heavier on the turn in but holds the line very well. I just wanted to know if anyone had feedback if they went from an R6 to an R1 or if you have driven both.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

...either no one comes on this site or this forum is worthless. On my rx7 forum I would have had posts by now. NO ONE has ridden the new r6 and r1 that can comment?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 05:09 PM

i can tell you that if your a smaller guy dont waste your time with any liter bike. a liter bike is bigger and would be nicer for a bigger guy. Yes they are faster but it does not handle as wel as a 600 period. The newer R1s are very nice - i have one but in some ways i miss my r6 03. The 03 felt like it has more bottom end on take off. Th er1s are not a bottom end machine at all. They are all mid to top end and thats really what you need for racing. The r1 is easier in a sense that you dont do as much shifting and it gets there a hell of alot quicker. It also is 100 times better on the highway and with 2 people. It has excellent handling at higher speeds. Way better than the r6 and its ride is some much more smooth. I know its hard to image all of this so if you can try to find one to ride for at least 5 minutes. The first thing you feel is the extra lbs but after a while that goes away and your left with just feeling extra power and a little tougher in turns. to correct that you can get a 190/55/17 tire and itll turn really nice but itll be more tippy. Imagine riding a 450- itd be lighter than the 600 and most likely more torquey, it would be fun to rip around on. Now add the lbs and a harder turn in and you have a 600, the same goes for the 1000. I hope im not confusing the shit out of you but if it were me and i was smaller id get a 600 for sure. the friend has the new honda 600rr and its really the best thing around! if you want more info id go to r6-fourm.com or r1-forum.com - ive commented a little there as well. my first choice would be the new 600rr than 08 r6 than 08 r1 - you also might want to check out the new ducati 848- that seems like itd be the best all arounder out. good luck its a tough choice but ill say the newer bikes will always be better lighter faster .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 05:30 PM

Well, I use to own a 06 R6 but I sold it for an 07 R1. In my situation I do a lot of backroads and TDs. The R1 is just as agile as the R6 but obviously has more power. The R6 is also more forgiving than the R1. The only thing I didn't like about the R6 was the hunting for gears. I would say get what you want and/or what you pocket book will allow and enjoy! However, make sure you give the utmost respect to either platform or they will find a way to bite you in the a$$.

The only thing was done to the 08 R1 was the different paint scheme.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 10:00 PM

question back to you is what is your riding style and what do you use the bike for?

track, casual jaunts, weekend spirited canyon carving, everyday transportation, etc...

R6 is definitely more trck orientated. Fast, flickable, high-reving. Personally don't care for it on the streets or running errands with.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 03:46 PM

Just out of curiousity, what do you mean when you say your R6 had an intake and a chip?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 04:29 PM

does anyone know how a dropped 2001 r1 handles turns at faster speeds cause ive heard that they are worse after you drop them but then ive heard that they are overall better after you drop them
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 05:28 PM

I had a n 04 R6 and went to an 05 R1. at first I really missed the 6 and was sure that I could get it off the line faster than the 1.
That all changed once i got the R1 set up properly. -1 gearing, power commander, exup delete, and suspension tuning.
No. 1 difference is obviously power. this thing rips everywhere. those USD forks give a really solid feel as well. the handling is better but does feel slightly heavier.
There is a noticable differance in size between these two machines, even more so with the 08's. I'm 5'11" 190# and Mr.one fits me like a glove
In conclusion the R1 is and R6 with alot more balls.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 06:46 PM

I went from a YZF 600R to a R1 then back to a R6. For my style of riding my '06 R6 fits the bill. With a full system and custom mapping the R6 is a little beast.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 02:42 PM

I am a bigger guy, 6'5" and for that reason prefer the R1. I rode are R6 first, and just seemed a little small. I don't have any problems with the weight control of the R1 especially at higher speeds, it exits corners great.

*** Question***
What is everyone's opinion of a Micron Exhaust Good & Bad? I have a stock exhaust right now on my 05, and can get a steal on a Micron Brand New. I don't hear much about them, thats why I'm asking??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the R1Messagenet.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode