3rd Gear Wheelies '02 R1 - R1Messagenet.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

3rd Gear Wheelies '02 R1

The last couple of times i tried to wheelie in 3rd gear, my back tire spins and doesn't catch. I've tried clutching it up multiple times between 65-80mph and still nothing. I'm riding on some Pirelli Diablo's and i recently added a couple performance mods: Velocity Stacks, BMC Race Filter, Yoshi RS3 tri-oval exhaust, and PCIII USB. I have no problem with getting it up in 2nd with or without the clutch, but 3rd is another story. Should i try changing my riding position before i wheelie and getting more weight towards the back? should i try to rev higher before releasing the clutch? or what? help a fellow R1 rider out with some of the methods you use to wheelie.

At 175Mph the world is standing still.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 10:41 AM

I have a simular setup on my 2005. When the weather is colder like it has been, mine does the same thing. I think it's just because the tires are not sticking like they would to a nice warm road.
I do clutchups and power wheelies, sounds simular to what you describe there. I don't think reving it higher will help, you will just get that tire spinning worse. I don't like the feeling of a spinning rear tire at those speeds...
Summer is on the way, try the same things when its warmer out...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

I thought it would be easier for you to power wheelie since you have a good 20 more HP then me. actually thinking about hopping the front end up off a clutchup. do you find it easier to keep a wheelie going standing up or sitting down? i never tried a stand up wheelie from beginning to end. only times i stood up was after i got the front end up halfway through, but at that time i was close to the top of the gear and it was time to put it back down 5-7sec later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 10:32 AM

The power is not the issue, I don't think anyways. It comes up easy if I can get it to hook up...
I ride most of mine sitting down, just feels more comfortable that way. If I do a standup, I pull it up as I stand up.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 01:15 PM

hey i have an 01' R1 and ive been tryin to do wheelies since the day i got it and everyone says that my bike has the power to do a power wheelie but the only time i can get the front end to lift is whenever im haulin balls onto a highway. ive tried power wheelies in a side street and in parkin lots and i just cant get it up. does anyone have any advice
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 11:18 AM

I find it hard to beleive the rear tire is spinning on pavement at 3rd gear cruising speeds. Try doing standups. Ride along with the revs around 3-4K, while standing up push down on the bars and wack the throttle a hair in one motion while leaning back. It will come up NO PROBLEM. I only do standups in 3rd or 4th and this is how I do all my standups.
Watch some of my vids here..small crappy vids but you get the picture...
www.youtube.com/pjb84
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 05:45 AM

I'd have to agree with MMPeter for the most part. Just remember... IT"S MORE TIMING THAN POWER when you are learning!!!!!! when I had my 02, I first started doing the stand ups in 3rd. I found that at 70mph, I'd jus tbounce it and it would come up EASILY and smoothly!! no clutch needed!!!! The downfall..... by the time you set it down (if you don't get to balance point) , you're doing about 115 - not a good idea.
I eventually slowed it down to 2nd gear @45-50 mph - much nicer and better RPM range for the power brake and power needed to rock it quicker.

I only ever used the clutch when doing sit down wheelies (2nd at about 35-40 mph - or - 3rd at about 70-75 mph)

the only mods I had were a yosh pipe and power commander

good luck and make sure you're sporting a lot of leather !!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 04:29 AM

I disagree with you. Everything can be done differently.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:58 AM

I disagree with you. Everything can be done differently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the R1Messagenet.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode