Spark Plug issue, bike not starting - R1Messagenet.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Spark Plug issue, bike not starting

Hi,

I recently had some trouble starting my R1. It had been running for months, had plenty of fuel and a fully charged battery. Finished my shift in the office, tried starting the bike and engine wouldn't kick in.

Toed it home, checked the spark plugs and found an error. If you look at the HT leads in the picture attached, one of them has come off the main spark plug holder lead. I'm not sure if I can buy an individual lead to attach or if I can buy an entire until. Not sure what I'd need to order, any advice is much appreciated.

pic:

http://s841.photobucket.com/albums/z...sparkplugs.jpg

thanks

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 10:30 PM

Is the wiring inside metal? If so cut away the rubber, solder it back on and electrical tape it (or slip heat shrink tubing up the wire before hand) I have seen weird ass cloth wires in headphones before as long as its not that solder is your friend. To properly solder heat the metal you are soldering untill solder touched to it melts. Do not touch the solder to your gun.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Maj,

Cheers for the tip, to be honest I haven't checked that thoroughly - had a quick look and thought wtf. I think you're right about the solder, will give it a go....

thx
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

battery recommendations??

Screws back on, but still no luck - I've tried a new spark plug, with a rubber glove, held the spark plug to bike frame and tried starting ignition, but no spark.

I don't think I can effectively test the spark plug coils myself or the pickup coil - will try a new battery first (it's kicking out a charge, but I'm not sure if it's good enough)

Do you guys have any recommendations for a decent R1 battery on a 2001 model? My local Yamaha dealer want 100gbp, but ebay does some for as cheap as 40 gbp - I want quality, but don't want to be ripped off.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 11:50 PM

If its turning over its not the battery. It takes more to turn an engein over than to fire a spark. You want to look at your coils. My bike knowledge is from a trikle down of a vast knowledge of cars. I Know for sure a battery causing turn over will spark a plug. Try cleaning all connections too.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 02:55 AM

Nice thread and post too. Thanks for sharing with us.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 01:32 AM

your spark plug is not working , you must change old spark plug with new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the R1Messagenet.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode